ABOUT BLOK: We are BLOK, one of the UK's leading boutique fitness operators. BLOK is an award winning independent fitness studio, offering cross discipline classes for all levels. We opened our first site in Clapton in 2016, expanded it in 2017, opened our Shoreditch site in 2018, BLOK Manchester in 2019 and launched BLOKtv, our online digital offering.
The Digital Fitness market has experienced annual growth - an opportunity worth billions in a market without a clear brand leader. BLOK is a startup founded to create something new in this market. By taking great care to hire top quality trainers and develop best in class programs, BLOK has gained a loyal customer base and attracted high profile brand collaborations.
The company is now focused on growing and changing its product to be completely hybrid, creating an integrated customer experience across both in-person and digital classes, and is determined to build on its reputation as one of the world's leading studios as it scales and shifts it's product.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR: We are looking for a Product Designer to be part of a new team that’s working to transform the BLOK customer experience. We’re changing our product to be completely hybrid, creating an exceptional, integrated customer experience across both in-person and digital classes. We’re going to build a hyper-engaging app to be at the core of the experience, but this is more than just a product team. We’ll have the ability to run tests across the whole business, so we can make BLOK the best that it can be.
More important than skills, though, is mindset. We want a Product Designer that is as happy having very high-level, strategic conversations as they are getting into the practical details of the projects they’ll be working on. They should be excited to work on all different kinds of projects, from ones where they’re experts, to ones where they’re figuring things out from first principles (and google). We highly value both creativity and logical thinking, and consider the ability to prioritise ruthlessly to be essential.
Most of all, we’re looking for someone that relishes working in fast-paced teams, with talented people, on work that’s different every single day. You’ll be applying what we know and designing tests to learn what we don’t, all so we can push BLOK forwards as quickly as possible.
If this sounds like fun, we want to hear from you.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Distil goals and requirements from a vision or brief
- Use discovery and workshopping to really understand problems and potential solutions, including conducting competitor and customer analysis
- Translate solutions through low and high fidelity wireframes and prototypes to help us validate our thinking
- Deliver beautiful experiences, according to our brand guidelines and own our evolving design system
- Be an advocate for users, whether they are members, prospect or colleagues, and inform decisions and design direction through user research and usability testing
- You are structured in your approach to understanding users, and frame design decisions around your findings.
- Analysing user feedback and activity, and rapidly iterating to enhance the user experience coherently
- Open to assisting with content development
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- At least 3 years+ of experience as a product designer for a high growth mobile product where you have taken features from research through to delivery
- Experience in product thinking with a balanced focus on the why as much as the how
- Experience in making data-led UX decisions through qualitative and quantitative methods
- Experience communicating design decisions or storytelling across multiple audiences, including technical and non-technical ones
- You are structured in your approach to understanding users, and frame design decisions around your findings and bets
- Happy treading the balance of creating a great experience vs releasing quick tests and moving fast. You aim to create incredibly useful and engaging experiences, but prioritise progress and learning over perfection.
- A demonstrable, genuine passion for UX coupled with great visual design skills
- Experience using tools such as Figma, Miro, Notion and Usability Hub or equivalent
- Experience working in a cross functional team with engineers and product managers
- A portfolio that demonstrates a thoughtful process and high-quality delivery
- Bonus: experience in the Health & Fitness, HealthTech or Gaming
- Comfortable seeing the truth and testing ideas and assumptions around products and concepts
- Happy having very high-level, strategic conversations and joining the dots alongside getting into the practical details of design
- Excited to work on all different kinds of projects, from ones where you’re an expert, to ones where you’re figuring things out from first principles (and google).
- Creativity and logical thinking
- Ability to ruthlessly prioritise
- Relish working in fast-paced teams, with talented people, on work that’s different every single day
- Process driven
BENEFITS: As well as being an exciting and creative environment to work within, we also offer some great benefits as part of the team:
- Full access to all BLOK studios and BLOKtv for free - great for anyone who is interested in fitness. One free membership and three discounted memberships (and free passes) for your friends. Complimentary use of our cafe when on site
- Exclusive discounts at our retail partners including clothing, lifestyle and restaurant brands across London and Manchester
- We are a company focused on the wellbeing of our employees. Our Employee Assistance Programme offers free counselling, as well as financial and legal advice to everyone who works for us
- 30 days holiday a year for full time employees (the 30 days includes public holidays in England and Wales). Plus get an extra day for each year you’ve worked for BLOK (up to a max of 35)
- Access to 6 paid company sick days a year
- A BLOK Pension (4% BLOK contribution, 3% Employee, 1% Government)
SALARY: £45,000 - £60,000 plus EMI share options - dependent on experience
START DATE: ASAP
TO APPLY: Please send an up to date CV and your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a few sentences on why you want to be part of this team
BLOK is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer, we welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Please reach out to us if you want to discuss more.